Joseph Thomas (born December 4, 1984) is a former American football offensive tackle who played his entire 11-season career for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Wisconsin, earned unanimous All-American honors, and was recognized as the top college interior lineman.
The Browns chose Thomas with the third overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. He was invited to the Pro Bowl in each of his first 10 seasons and did not miss a single play in his career until the 2017 season (his final season in the NFL); his 10,363 consecutive snaps played is the longest streak since the NFL began recording snap counts in 1999.
The Cleveland Browns drafted Thomas in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft, third overall. Thomas spent the draft fishing on Lake Michigan with his father, father-in-law, and Joe Panos, who was also a standout offensive lineman at Wisconsin and is a former Brookfield resident. Thomas discovered he was drafted by the Browns via cell phone.
Thomas signed a six-year contract worth $43 million, $23 million guaranteed, including a voidable year, with the Browns. Thomas won the starting left tackle job, with previous Browns left tackle Kevin Shaffer moving to right tackle. He made his NFL debut versus the Pittsburgh Steelers in week 1 and played every offensive snap for the Browns in 2007. Thomas quickly became one of the top-performing members of the 2007 draft class and was named the NFL’s Rookie of the Month for November. Thomas was selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl, replacing Jason Peters of the Buffalo Bills.
Thomas came in second in the voting for NFL Rookie of the Year. He was the only person to receive votes, besides the eventual winner, Adrian Peterson.
Thomas was selected to his second pro bowl. During the 2008 campaign, the Browns offensive line only allowed 19 sacks, which was tied for the third fewest in franchise history. Thomas played in every snap during the season, though the Browns finished the season 4-12.
Thomas was selected to 3rd and 4th Pro Bowl’s.
On August 22, 2011 Thomas and the Browns agreed to a record setting seven-year $84 million extension with $44 million guaranteed. The deal was negotiated by his agent Peter Schaffer and Matt Thomas and Tom Heckert of the Browns.
On December 27, 2011, Thomas was named to his fifth straight Pro Bowl since the Browns drafted him. Since 1970, Thomas and Richmond Webb of the Miami Dolphins are the only NFL offensive linemen to make the Pro Bowl in each of their first five seasons. Thomas and Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown are the only Browns players ever to be selected to the Pro Bowl for the first five seasons of their careers. Hall of Fame running back Leroy Kelly was the last Browns player to earn five or more consecutive invitations to the Pro Bowl.
On December 26, 2012, Thomas was named to his sixth straight Pro Bowl. Thomas joins a short list of only 15 players who have made the Pro Bowl in each of their first six seasons in NFL history.
On December 27, 2013, Thomas was voted to his seventh straight Pro Bowl selection. Thomas joins Hall of Famer Jim Brown as the only two Browns to make the Pro Bowl in their first seven seasons. Thomas on making his 7th straight Pro Bowl became one of only 11 players in NFL history to make it their first seven seasons. The list of other players who have done it and gone on to make the Hall of Fame includes Dick Butkus, Joe Greene, Franco Harris, Merlin Olsen, Mel Renfro, Barry Sanders, Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas.
On December 23, 2014, Thomas made NFL history, becoming the only offensive lineman to be named to the Pro Bowl in each of his first eight seasons. On the NFL Network’s Top 100 Players of 2014, Thomas was voted the 18th best player overall in the league by his peers.
At the end of the 2015 season, Thomas was named the recipient of Pro Football Focus’s Bruce Matthews Award for best offensive lineman in the league. He was ranked 23rd on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2016.
Thomas kept his Pro Bowl streak alive in 2016 being named to his 10th straight Pro Bowl, despite the Browns finishing with a league worst 1–15 record. He was also ranked 25th by his peers on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2017
In 2017, Thomas revealed that he had been experiencing early stage memory loss, but that he would not allow it to affect his career.
On September 17, 2017, Thomas played his 10,000th consecutive snap since being drafted into the NFL, having never missed a single play. He is the first player to reach the milestone in NFL history. Thomas’ iron man consecutive snap streak ended at 10,363 on October 22, 2017, when he injured his triceps while blocking the Tennessee Titans’ Brian Orakpo. The next day, it was revealed that he suffered a torn triceps in his left arm, which prematurely ended his 2017 season as he was placed on injured reserve. On November 4, the Browns gave Thomas a raise in pay.
On March 14, 2018, Thomas announced his retirement from the NFL.
Joe Thomas hosts a weekly podcast with former teammate and Andrew Hawkins. With a combined 10 Pro Bowl selections (all Joe’s) and two college degrees (both Hawk’s), this is your one-stop shop for fun NFL stories, unintentional comedy and a touch of bromance.
1. Baker Mayfield | Joe & Hawk are joined by the Cleveland Browns new franchise quarterback, Baker Mayfield. The #1 overall pick discusses his relationship with Tyrod Taylor, potentially being a backup his rookie year, Josh Gordon and his top 5 quarterbacks of all time. The guys also give insights on NFL minicamps and discuss Andrew Luck’s return to the field. Plus, Joe & Browns CB Damarious Randall recap their ridiculous NBA Finals jersey tweets and ThomaHawk Q&A!
2. Terry Francona, Francisco Lindor & ThomaHawk Day! | Joe & Hawk are live at the Cleveland Indians game for #ThomaHawk Day!
3. Bold NFL Predictions & NBA Finals | Joe & Hawk make their bold 2018 NFL predictions
4. Hard Knocks & Fast Food Draft | On this episode, Joe & Hawk discuss being at Game 4 of the Cavs vs. Celtics series. Plus, their takes on the upcoming season of “Hard Knocks” starring the Browns, NFL OTA’s and athletes that could excel in multiple sports. Lastly, a Fast Food draft and #ThomaHawk Q&A!
5. Hawk’s Hot Takes & Joe’s Workout Tips | Joe & Hawk are back at it this week, diving deep into some current NFL topics.
6. The Miz & Gary Barnidge | Joe & Hawk are joined by two very special guests on this week’s episode.
7. Baker Mayfield advice & Disney Movie Draft | Joe & Hawk discuss how the Browns should handle their QB situation and do a Disney Movie draft.
8. NFL Draft Instant Reaction | In this special NFL Draft edition of The ThomaHawk show, Joe & Hawk analyze the Cleveland Browns draft class highlighted by Baker Mayfield and Denzel Ward. The guys also discuss NFL Draft coverage as a whole, Ryan Shazier and Jason Witten’s potential move to the “Monday Night Football” booth. Plus, NFD uses bonus questions from the NFL Reddit AMA for #ThomaHawk Q&A!
9. Baker to Browns & Superhero Draft | Joe and Hawk are ready to kick off the 2018 NFL Draft!
10. Dez Bryant, NFL schedule & Young Star QBs | Joe & Hawk (although somewhat still on spring break) know that the ThomaHawk Show must go on! They’re back for another episode, where they talk the latest in NFL news including Dez Bryant’s release and James Harrison’s retirement. Texas Tech head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, then joins the show to discuss 2003 Tom Brady and coaching young quarterbacks such as Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield, Patrick Mahomes and more. Plus, more #ThomaHawk Q&A!
11. Auditions, Doppelgängers & Cam Jordan | Joe Thomas and the Saints Cam Jordan go 1-on-1.
12. Brandin Cooks trade & “Best Of” | sort of, They tried.
13. LeBron, Jim Brown & more on Joe’s NFL Career | It’s the Joe’s Retirement Extravaganza we’ve all been waiting for.
14. Cleveland Love & ‘All-Joe’ Teams | The LeBron hug, Joe Thomas Day and #ThomaHawk Q&A!
15. Richard Sherman & Free Agency | Joe & Hawk welcome Richard Sherman to The ThomaHawk Show.
16. The Decision | The Decision, by Joe Thomas
17. Emergency Pod: Browns Trades! | Joe & Hawk react to the Cleveland Browns trades!
18. Top Draft QBs, Saquon Barkley & Gradkowski | 11-year NFL veteran Bruce Gradkowski ranks top QBs in NFL Draft
19. Johnny Manziel | After much anticipation, Joe and Hawk welcome Johnny Football to The ThomaHawk Show.
20. NFL Combine Stories & Life Outside of Football | This week, Joe & Hawk share NFL Combine stories and discuss what the future holds for Kirk Cousins.
21. Team Thoma vs. Team Hawk | The guys discuss big injuries and big contracts before revealing which NFL players are also good basketball players.
22. Eagles Win, National Signing Day and Q&A! | Joe and Hawk are back from Minny and ready to recap the Super Bowl.
23. Super Bowl Show Part 3 (Live from Minny!) | In the finale of the ThomaHawk Super Bowl trilogy, Joe and Hawk sit down with great guests live from Radio Row in Minnesota.
24. Super Bowl Show Part 2 (Live from Minny!) | ThomaHawk is live from Minnesota as Joe and Hawk interview star NFL players from Radio Row.
25. Super Bowl Show Part 1 | Joe and Hawk deep dive into the Chiefs and Redskins deal for Alex Smith and the fallout on the rest of the NFL.
26. Pro Bowl, Lebron & the XFL | On this episode, Joe recaps his week at ESPN and tells behind-the-scenes Pro Bowl stories.
27. NFL Playoffs, Best Sports Movies & Life Hacks | Playoffs, Movies & Life Hacks. Joe Hawk Yourself.
28. Patriots Insights and Comeback SZN | Joe and Hawk are back for the first time to tackle the latest NFL news!
29. Once Teammates | Joe and Hawk discuss a wide range of NFL topics i…
30. The ThomaHawk Show Coming Soon! | Cleveland Browns legend